KYOCERA to Acquire TFT Liquid Crystal Display Design &
Acquisition brings strategic expansion to Kyocera’s LCD product line
31 March 2010
March 31, 2010 Kyocera Corporation (President: Tetsuo Kuba; herein “Kyocera”) today announced that it has reached a definitive agreement with Sony Corporation and its subsidiary Sony Mobile Display Corporation (herein “SMD”) to acquire part of its Thin Film Transistor (TFT) Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) design and manufacturing business. The acquisition will be undertaken by means of a corporate split, where Kyocera will acquire the TFT LCD facilities of SMD located in Yasu City, Shiga Prefecture, Japan, effective June 1, 2010. Existing employment contracts will be assigned to Kyocera and employees transferred on the same date.
Kyocera’s Corporate Thin Film Components Group develops, manufactures and markets small- and medium-sized (under 10.4 inch) LCDs for industrial applications worldwide. The company is known as a stable supplier of STN (passive) and TFT (active) LCDs, with strong capabilities in accommodating specific customer requirements, even in low-volume orders.
Strong growth in demand for more cost-competitive, larger, higher resolution industrial-use TFT LCDs is expected to continue. The acquisition of SMD’s TFT LCD business is intended to strengthen Kyocera’s ability to respond to this growth.
This acquisition will enable Kyocera to expand its diverse TFT LCD line with products of even higher added value to meet a wider range of customer needs.
- Press Release (pdf) (372.57 KB)
- KYOCERA introduces TFT-LCDs with Projected Capacitive Touchscreens for Industrial Applications
- KYOCERA DOCUMENT SOLUTIONS INC. POSITIONED IN VISIONARIES' QUADRANT IN 2015 GARTNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR MANAGED PRINT AND CONTENT SERVICES
- KYOCERA UNVEILS KYOCERA NET MANAGER; A SOLUTION THAT AUTOMATES PROCESSES TO IMPROVE BUSINESS PRODUCTIVITY
- KYOCERA REVOLUTIONISES A4 PRINTING
- KYOCERA TCL Solar Begins Construction on 13.7MW Floating Solar Power Plant
- Kyocera will present its new Fuji and Kizuna knife series at Ambiente 2016
- KYOCERA Expands Number of Solar Recharging Stations in Japan as Electric Vehicle Use Grows
- KYOCERA Receives Environment Minister’s Award in Japan for Record 6th Consecutive Year
- KYOCERA AWARDED PLACE ON G-CLOUD 7 FRAMEWORK
- KYOCERA ANNOUNCES GOOGLE CLOUD PRINTING
- KYOCERA TCL Solar Completes 8.5MW Solar Power Plant on Reclaimed Island on Japan’s Largest Lake
- KYOCERA Launches Highly Robust Printhead for Digital Textile Printing
- KYOCERA Develops World’s First Platinum-Free Soot-Sensing Element for Diesel Engines
- KYOCERA launches new UK & Ireland partner programme
- KYOCERA Announces New Mobile Device-based Support Service in Japan for Healthy Lifestyle Modification*
Manager Corporate Communications