KYOCERA to Acquire TFT Liquid Crystal Display Design &
Acquisition brings strategic expansion to Kyocera’s LCD product line
31 March 2010
March 31, 2010 Kyocera Corporation (President: Tetsuo Kuba; herein “Kyocera”) today announced that it has reached a definitive agreement with Sony Corporation and its subsidiary Sony Mobile Display Corporation (herein “SMD”) to acquire part of its Thin Film Transistor (TFT) Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) design and manufacturing business. The acquisition will be undertaken by means of a corporate split, where Kyocera will acquire the TFT LCD facilities of SMD located in Yasu City, Shiga Prefecture, Japan, effective June 1, 2010. Existing employment contracts will be assigned to Kyocera and employees transferred on the same date.
Kyocera’s Corporate Thin Film Components Group develops, manufactures and markets small- and medium-sized (under 10.4 inch) LCDs for industrial applications worldwide. The company is known as a stable supplier of STN (passive) and TFT (active) LCDs, with strong capabilities in accommodating specific customer requirements, even in low-volume orders.
Strong growth in demand for more cost-competitive, larger, higher resolution industrial-use TFT LCDs is expected to continue. The acquisition of SMD’s TFT LCD business is intended to strengthen Kyocera’s ability to respond to this growth.
This acquisition will enable Kyocera to expand its diverse TFT LCD line with products of even higher added value to meet a wider range of customer needs.
- Press Release (pdf) (372.57 KB)
- KYOCERA to Break Ground on Third Kyoto Ayabe Manufacturing Facility
- KYOCERA “Kyoto Opal” Utilized in Decorative Design of Yamaha Trombone
- Kyocera presents innovative Magic Drill DRA: Modular drill with low cutting force for excellent drilling accuracy
- KYOCERA: Revving up for involvement with motorsports
- KYOCERA to sponsor touring car race
- KYOCERA UK OFFERS ADDITIONAL DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT AND AUTOMATION FUNCTIONALITY
- KYOCERA Strengthens IoT Business through Expansion of Software Laboratory
- KYOCERA DOCUMENT SOLUTIONS NAMED A "MAJOR PLAYER" IN IDC MARKETSCAPE: MANAGED WORKFLOW SERVICES 2015
- KYOCERA introduces Wide-Screen, Super High Brightness TFT-LCD for Industrial Applications
- KYOCERA UNVEILS NEW ECOSYS PRINTER FOR INCREASED PRODUCTIVITY
- Kyocera registers trademark Haptivity® for its proprietary touch feeling technology and continues further development
- KYOCERA NAMED 2015 TOP 100 GLOBAL INNOVATOR BY THOMSON REUTERS
- KYOCERA Named a 2015 Top 100 Global Innovator by Thomson Reuters
- UK SCHOOLS EMBRACE TECHNOLOGY AS PACE OF EVOLUTION INCREASES
- KYOCERA Donates Solar Power Generating Systems to Nepal to Support Earthquake Reconstruction
Manager Corporate Communications