KYOCERA to Acquire TFT Liquid Crystal Display Design &
Acquisition brings strategic expansion to Kyocera’s LCD product line
31 March 2010
March 31, 2010 Kyocera Corporation (President: Tetsuo Kuba; herein “Kyocera”) today announced that it has reached a definitive agreement with Sony Corporation and its subsidiary Sony Mobile Display Corporation (herein “SMD”) to acquire part of its Thin Film Transistor (TFT) Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) design and manufacturing business. The acquisition will be undertaken by means of a corporate split, where Kyocera will acquire the TFT LCD facilities of SMD located in Yasu City, Shiga Prefecture, Japan, effective June 1, 2010. Existing employment contracts will be assigned to Kyocera and employees transferred on the same date.
Kyocera’s Corporate Thin Film Components Group develops, manufactures and markets small- and medium-sized (under 10.4 inch) LCDs for industrial applications worldwide. The company is known as a stable supplier of STN (passive) and TFT (active) LCDs, with strong capabilities in accommodating specific customer requirements, even in low-volume orders.
Strong growth in demand for more cost-competitive, larger, higher resolution industrial-use TFT LCDs is expected to continue. The acquisition of SMD’s TFT LCD business is intended to strengthen Kyocera’s ability to respond to this growth.
This acquisition will enable Kyocera to expand its diverse TFT LCD line with products of even higher added value to meet a wider range of customer needs.
- Press Release (pdf) (372.57 KB)
- Robust, thin and light – Kyocera presents a modern 5.7-inch module for industrial applications
- KYOCERA LAUNCHES 10 NEW MFPS
- KYOCERA sterilisation technology: innovative, affordable, environmentally friendly multilayer substrates for plasma surface treatment
- KYOCERA to introduce super alloy, aluminium, titanium and cast iron cutting tools at AMB in September
- KYOCERA introduces customized LED module with a colour spectrum close to sunlight for diverse applications
- KYOCERA Marks 10th Anniversary of “Green Curtains”
- Kyocera, along with RIKEN and Organ Technologies, has launched a joint research to develop a regenerative medical treatment for hair loss, targeting practical use in 2020
- KYOCERA expands its market presence by opening a new office in Italy
- KYOCERA Develops Real Edge 600dpi Thermal Printhead for Card Printing with Enhanced Security Applications
- KYOCERA Develops World’s Smallest Thermal Printhead for Barcode Printing
- Inamori Foundation Announces Three Laureates of 2016 Kyoto Prize
- KYOCERA recognized as “Top Performer” in 2016 PV solar module reliability scorecard
- KYOCERA SECURES PLACE ON NATIONAL EDUCATION PRINTER AGREEMENT FRAMEWORK
- KYOCERA BOOSTS TONER RECYCLING PROGRAMME
- KYOCERA UK ANNOUNCES PLANS TO TACKLE GROWING THREAT FROM COUNTERFEITTERS
Manager Corporate Communications