KYOCERA Develops Real Edge 600dpi Thermal Printhead for Card Printing with Enhanced Security Applications
Proprietary design enables printing directly onto ID and credit cards
02 August 2016
Kyoto / Neuss − Kyocera Corporation (President: Goro Yamaguchi) announced the launch of a real edge 600-dot-per-inch (dpi) thermal printhead for desktop card printers used for rigid materials such as ID cards and credit cards. The KPE Series 600dpi printhead, available worldwide from this month, provides crisp, high resolution printing with delicate color expression.
The new 600dpi model is fully compatible with the conventional 300dpi printhead design enabling an easy upgrade for existing printer designs.
Kyocera has mass-produced thermal printheads for card printers since 1993 enabling simple, fast and high-resolution printing of a wide range of cards including ID cards and credit cards. The company currently holds the world’s largest market share in printheads for desktop card printers*.
|Model||KPE Series 600dpi|
|Application||Desktop card printers|
|Production Facilities||Front-end process in Kagoshima Hayato Plant (Japan)|
Back-end process in Nagano Okaya Plant (Japan)
|Start of Production||July 2016 (upon request)|
|Production Target||15,000 units/year|
In recent years, the demand for ID and credit cards with high-resolution photos or stealth characters has grown along with the need to ensure security. More companies are utilizing cards with photos for employee and customer management; and compact, simple card printers capable of instant issuance in-house are becoming mainstream among retail stores. In recent years, the demand for such cards is growing not only in Japan, the U.S. and Europe, but also in China and India. The new Kyocera KPE 600dpi Series allows users to print with delicate color expression and high resolution.
1. Kyocera’s proprietary real edge design
Kyocera’s printheads for card printing feature a real edge design that enables printing without bending the media in order to print on rigid materials such as plastic. A proprietary innovation, Kyocera’s printheads place the heater element (head which prints images) on the thin edge of a substrate so that the media does not have to bend.
2. Delicate color expression and high-definition character printing
The new product employs high-density pattern wiring, which places the heater of the head for printing at a pitch of 42μm. Furthermore, based on the establishment of a manufacturing technology for photolithography processing which enables this high-density wiring, the product achieves a high resolution of 600dpi.
3. Easy upgrade for existing printer designs
Since the new product features the same size as Kyocera’s conventional 300dpi printhead and ensures compatible input signal arrays, printer manufacturers can easily design high-resolution 600dpi card printers while making use of existing printer designs.
*Based on research by Kyocera (as of June 2016)
For more info about Kyocera Printing Devices, please visit: http://www.kyocera.eu/index/products/thermal_printheads.html
For more information about Kyocera: www.kyocera.eu
Contact for journalists
Manager Corporate Communications
Contact for product information
- KYOCERA Files Suit Against Preh GmbH for Potential Infringement of Haptic Feedback Technology Patent
- KYOCERA to Build New Plant in Kagoshima, Japan, for Ceramic Microelectronic Packages
- KYOCERA’s New Air-Cooled UV Curing Light is World’s Smallest, Lightest and Most Powerful
- KYOCERA TCL Solar begins operation of Japan’s largest 13.7MW Floating Solar Power Plant
- KYOCERA Introduces New Z-series Clock Oscillators
- Innovative, beautiful, durable: KYOCERA presents high-quality kitchen tools demonstrating the advantages of its ceramic technology
- KYOCERA TCL Solar Completes 21.1 MW Solar Power Plant on Repurposed Land in Japan
- KYOCERA and 7 Other Companies Announce Progress of Development Plan for Max. 480-Megawatt Solar Power Project
- KYOCERA Introduces Irish Claddagh Ring Designed by Paul Costelloe, Using Hypoallergenic COBARION
- KYOCERA Receives Japan Environment Minister’s Award for Record 8th Consecutive Year
- KYOCERA Develops Some of World’s Smallest Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors for Mobile Devices
- KYOCERA WINS GOOD DESIGN AWARD FOR NEW MFPs
- KYOCERA RECEIVES “HIGHLY RECOMMENDED” RATING FROM BLI FOR THIRTEEN PRODUCTS
- KYOCERA to Expand Medical Product Development
- KYOCERA Breaks Ground on New Manufacturing Plant for Ceramic Structural Components in Kagoshima, Japan